CVS add to HEAD first, to branch later? (was Re: Full 100% Arabic support for gnome)

On Wednesday, July 23 2003, 09:46:08 CEST -- Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> Can you expand on that? Does this become a problem for apps like
> Evolution or gtk, for example, where I thought we were supposed
> to be doing the branch instead of HEAD?

I'll quote the Translators' guide at
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/tutorials/gnome-i18n/translator.html:

(Section "How to add a new translation")
"We note that gconf has a "gnome-2-2" branch. For various reasons it's
preferrable to first add the new translation to HEAD and then on the
branch when adding translations to modules that use a branch."

All I actually know is that there are some dubious warnings CVS issues
when you later commit a translation into HEAD (I've experienced them
myself, before I was advised by Christian what to do -- not to mention
that I didn't read the guide throughoutly :o).

> What about if I check something into branch first, then immediately
> check the HEAD version in? Does that cause a problem too?

I really don't know that many details, but I don't see how this is
different in terms of CVS software (what would it care if the time
difference between this checkins is two years or two minutes?).

So, I'm sorry that I can't really help, because I didn't devote enough
time to get deep into this problem. Still, a warning CVS gave me was
enough for me to get convinced that there might be better ways (the
warning was about version tracking of the file).

Cheers,
Danilo