Re: Wheeled Mouse

Frater Reklaw wrote:

> I used a program for win called (can't remember name)
> but it turned the middle button of the mouse into a
> scroll button. (The wheel on the intellmouse can be
> used as a third button under win -- I don't know how
> *nix drivers handle it). Clicking the middle button
> would put a bulls-eye anorched in clicked spot on the screen to let
> you know that you were in scroll mode.
> Moving the mouse away from the bulls-eye would change
> the cursor into one of eight directional arrows. Move
> a little more and the control under the bulls-eye
> would begin scrolling in the direction indictated.
> Move farther, scroll faster. click any button to end
> scroll mode.

Under unices, the wheel is treated as mouse buttons 4 and 5. (Wheel up
is 4, wheel down is 5). It really would not be to hard to support the
wheel. And it would benefit people (like me!) who have a five button
mouse. But let us make sure it is configurable. I have no use for that
much scrolling, but I would like to see GNOME make use of all the goofy
mice that are out there now.

M.Watson <redline@intrex.net>