Re: Wheeled Mouse

"M.Watson" <redline@intrex.net> writes:

> Under unices, the wheel is treated as mouse buttons 4 and 5.

This is normal, anyway.  It's configurable, of course.  Pressing the
wheel gives the middle mouse button (button 2).  So, an ordinary
wheeled mouse acts as a conventional 3 button mouse, with an extra 2
buttons (buttons 4 and 5).  Pressing the wheel is slightly more
awkward than pressing an ordinary middle button.

There are also mice with more than 3 buttons.  For example, just in
the mainstream, I could imagine someone buying a Logitech MouseMan+
mouse, and not bothering with the wheel, but wanting to use the thumb
button for things.  I imagine there are wheel-less mice with more than
3 buttons too.  So you definitely want this to be configurable, and
preferably run-time configurable for people who get binaries or share
executables (which my patch to rxvt isn't---I haven't changed this
because nobody has complained yet; when somebody does, I'll fix it).

This presumably has to be done in gtk, but when I had a look, it
didn't look at all obvious where.  But then, I don't know gtk; it
really needs someone who knows gtk and is interested.