Re: gnome yellow sticky project

Toshio Kuratomi <badger@prtr-13.ucsc.edu> writes:

> > The xpostit+ author is in the process of converting his app to gtk+.
> > I've emailed him and expressed some of my concerns.  He has some very
> > cool ideas for upcoming features in gtk:

This is what Michael Hammel responded:

       You're ideas go a bit beyond what I think the notes program should do.
       Its a simple program, to do simple tasks.  Its not meant to be a
       conferencing or white board utility.  Networked notes have been
       requested by some of my users but I haven't really decided if I'll
       implement that or not.

       I've already been asked to make XPostitPlus part of the Gnome project
       but have turned down the offer.  It sounds like you might want to go
       ahead and write your own notes program.

I don't really want to duplicate any efforts here, so I'm leaning
towards forking of a version of xpostit+.  However, I don't know if
the distribution policy allows for it.  This is quoted from the READE
file.

>From David's Version 3.3.1 version of xpostit (which is not the version
from which my version has evolved, BTW):

     Copyright 1991 by David A. Curry

     Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software
     and its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee,
     provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that
     both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
     supporting documentation.  The author makes no representations about
     the suitability of this software for any purpose.  It is provided "as
     is" without express or implied warranty.

     I've never contacted David about this software, so I can't say exactly
     what the copyright is.  Since David released the code for general use,
     I'll just say that you can use the software for non-commercial use in
     any way you see fit as long as any modification you make are not
     redistributed without first contacting me about them.  I only make
     this provision so I don't get swamped with email about someone else's
     version for which I have no knowledge or control over.  If you'd like
     to make a commercial version of this software, contact me.  I just
     want to make sure I get a copy of any future releases (and that I get
     a little credit for having done some work on this).  :-)

Miguel and co.: is this [legally] acceptable for a gnome project?
Damnit Jim, I'm a programmer, not a lawyer.

Aldy