Re: Database for gnome

On Fri, Feb 06, 1998 at 04:33:03PM -0600, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> Ok.
>
> Well, then I would preffer if the Database front end would be designed
> to plug directly into the free databases, this probably includes
> Postgress.

This is a bad idea.  The ODBC interface can be virtualized using CORBA,
and the access to the backend can be made w/ whatever service we want -
and it'll let it go over the wire.  Each database is different enough that
writing ODBC drivers for each database wins a lot more then writing gnome
plugins for each database.  The last thing any database application
programmer needs is Yet Another Obscure Standard That Only Works In One
Place.

> We can leave the task of talking to other databases to contributors.

Agreed.

> But we should target the free code

Agreed again. FreeODBC:

http://users.ids.net/~bjepson/freeODBC/