Re: RPM and Corba/GNOME

Max Watson <redline@pdq.net> writes:

> I would like to see a similar program for debian packages. Can this be in
> one program with rpm, or is the difference between the two great enough to
> require separate apps? I have never used rpm.

dpkg and rpm are conceptually pretty similar in what they do - they
just have different interfaces and a slightly different philosophy as
to how to configuration works.

Still, they could probably re-use the same interfaces.  ie. "install",
"remove", "upgrade", etc.

I think two separate implementations for deb and rpm "document
ojbects" makes sense.  But that doesn't mean code and interfaces can't
be shared.

I think it would already be pretty easy to do simple wrappers around
the command line interfaces using Owen's perl-mico stuff.  The big
task is to figure out a nice way of integrating into the various file
managers that are going to appear.

Apps like dselect and deity could be implemented in the Gnome
environment as just another specialized file manager.  In the long
run, I think we'll see lots of applications (mail, news, bookmark
editors, schedulers, accounting, etc.) that are implemented as
specialized file managers (or as modes inside a file manager).

So it's good not to advocate a single file manager - we want lots of
them - as long as they all cooperate.

Cheers,

 - Jim

PGP signature