Re: Panel GUI

Tom Tromey wrote:

> I've been thinking of renaming it to "gnome" or "gnome-session".
> The idea behind the former is that if the session manager really is
> how Gnome should be started, then it should be named accordingly.
> Opinions?

I would agree w/ this assumption.  Actually, we would hope that people
would use the session manager facilities.  This way you force them to.

Another feature the session manager should include, assuming that it
starts the wm, is to allow for m4 or other preprocessing of the window
managers config file.
Xsession that comes w/ the redhat powercd has this feature and I really
like it since it allows for wm w/o m4 processing, like AfterStep, to
have their config file processed.  Definite bonus if you want to use
wmconfig that's included w/ redhat to have your programs menu
dynamically created on login.

jason

--
Jason Gilbert | http://www.scott.net/~jason/ | http://www.mantissa.com/

"The total job will be in the software, and we'll be able to write big
fat programs. We can let them run somewhat inefficiently because there
will be so much horsepower that just sits there. The real focus won't
be who can cram it down in, or who can do it in machine language. It
will be on who can define the right user interface and properly
integrate the main packages." -- Bill Gates, PC Magazine 1982