Re: Scores in Gnome mines.

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Timo Sirainen wrote:

>On Thu, 21 May 1998, Bruno Widmann wrote:
>
>> >   files named gnomine.10x10x1.scores or something like this. Is it
>> > possible to have
>> >   just one file for scores in custom mode and record the height, width
>> > and number of
>> >   mines in the score file instead, or should we just forget about scores
>> > in this mode?
>> >

>> yep, store that, and do the ranking after some formula, like
>>
>>              width*height (of Minefield)
>> Ranking =   ----------------------------
>>               time-needed to clear it
>
>What about number of mines? I don't think there's any good way to make
>score list in custom mode..

SCORE = Density of mines / Time to clear
Density of mines = Number of mines / Area of field
Area of field = width * height

Then, instead of having separate high scores list for each size/number of
mines kind of playing field, have one high scores list where everyone is
ranked by score, that is, find a way to calculate a score from the playing
conditions and the time (like the one above), then rank the scores rather
than rank the times.