Re: Problems with gnome window hints

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Manish Vachharajani wrote:

> I am having a small problem with gnome window hints.  I am running E from
> CVS so it should support gnome.  I am running the WM from the session
> manager.
>
> Here is the problem.  If the panel starts first, it checks to see if a
> gnome compliant wm exists, which doesn't, since E hasn't had time to start
> up yet, and so it does not set the gnome window hints for the layer,
> state, etc.
>
> How would I work around this problem?  Is there any way to force the
> session manager to start clients in a specific order?

I have been having some problems with GNOME SM and E recently, but I think
this is how it is supposed to work.  The only thing you have in your
.xinitrc (or according config file on your system) is gnome-session.  Once
the gnome-session starts you explicitly run E.  If you properly log out of
gnome (via panel) and then start things over again, gnome-session SHOULD
start up E again in time for the panel to detect it.  Of course, this
could be all wrong and the reason why things are screwing up for me, but I
think it's right.

Regards,
Marcus Brubaker
spoon@elpaso.net
http://www.elpaso.net/~spoon

It is traditional, when loading wire trolleys, to put the most fragile
items at the bottom.
        -- (Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man)