Re: Installing gnome the easy way.

Hi,

On Sat, 24 Oct 1998, Jason S. Moore wrote:
> I've noticed that people have a hard time installing gnome from the
> sources. But I've found the easy way... to completely re-install linux.
                              ^^^^           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	I hate to add traffic saying merely Amen!. How hard would it
be to add an idiot mode to configure that, checks / removes:

	a) Old header files,
	b) Old libraries
	c) Old vital files: <prefix>/aclocal/* etc.

	Although I am sure the real brains behind the ( extremely clever )
autogen / configure stuff want to be able to do powerful things like
install two sets of conflicting libs/headers in different places the vast
majority of people want to upgrade / start hacking having installed a
'preview' pre-compiled version ?

	Perhaps I am missing the point, but how about a '--force' or
'--idiot' come to that switch that would attempt the above ?

	caveat: I'm happy to do it, but know nothing of automake, autoconf
etc. and couldn't maintain it.

	Apologies for the repetition,

	Regards,

		Michael Meeks.