RE: gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image: *.png

I made sure no old libraries were around, and recompiled imlib. No luck.
However, I'm wondering if these messages I get just before ld is run during
compile-time have something to do with it:

*** Warning: inter-library dependencies are not known to be supported.
*** All declared inter-library dependencies are being dropped.
*** The inter-library dependencies that have been dropped here will be
*** automatically added whenever a program is linked with this library
*** or is declared to -dlopen it.

I am going to download and install gnu binutils and see if this helps any.
Any other suggestions?

Ned