gmc & remote directories

Somehow I managed to have #ftp:prep.ai.mit.edu on the top level of my
GMC.  Now when GMC starts, it connects to prep first, so I have to wait
for an extra minute (!).  I cannot remove it nor can I move it somewhere
from the top.  Finally I solved the problem by removing the line
1:/#ftp:prep.ai.mit.edu
from ~/.mc/Tree.

Does anyone use GMC as their main FTP client?
Is GMC an appropriate tool for this?
Where do people keep bookmarks?

Also

1. when I remove a directory with all it's subdirectories (on the right
   panel) the subdirectories are still available under +/- on the left
   panel.

2. the left panel is not initialized properly: initially there are no
   +/- on any directory, they appear only after one clicks on it (thus
   they give a false impression that, say, /usr/ has no subdirectories).

3. imagine looking at /home/user1 on a machine with 300 users.  all of
   them will be listed on the left panel (subdirectories of /home/).  It
   might be wise to make it possible to hide all "siblings" and "uncles"
   of the current directory, i.e., instead of

   /
    bin
    boot
    dev
    etc
    home
      user1
      user2
      user3
      user4
      user5
      user6
      me
       dir1
       dir2
       dir3
       dir4
       dir5
       texts
         paper1
         paper2
         paper3
         current
       books
      user7
      user8

   I would like to see:

    /
     home                <- clickable to expand to all other directories
      me
       texts
        current

4. GMC constantly blocks everything else.  Suppose I click on /mnt/ and
   the mounting of one of the directories there is somehow broken.
   (Constantly happens to me with smb).  Then GMC blocks X: the only
   thing I can do is move the mouse (but not type anything nor change
   focus) and type C-M-f2 to switch to a virtual console to "kill -9" gmc.

5. mouse3 should work on the left panel similarly to the way it works on
   the right panel (now it doesn't do anything at all).

6. `delete' key should delete a file (or directory).

7. some operations on the right panel, like deleting a subdirectory
   recursively,  result in opening all subdirectories on the left panel,
   equivalent to clicking on all "+" to replace them with "-".

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.goems.com/~sds) running RedHat5.2 GNU/Linux
Micros**t is not the answer.  Micros**t is a question, and the answer is Linux,