RE: Milestones document

> "Poletti, Don" <don.poletti@comverse-in.com> writes:
>
> A couple of notes:
>
> > To recapitulate...
> > 2) How can I minimize memory usage?
>
> A couple of things that worked for me:
>
> 1.  switched to netscape 3.04 (from 4.x)

I'll probably try again with Mozilla

> 2.  switch from E, first to blackbox and now sawmill
> 3.  use a sensible gtk theme  (ThinIce is a good one)

I guess I don't understand how the gtk themes and the E themes interact.
Should
one of them be disabled?

> > 3) Is there a conscience effort in development to minimize memory?
>
> It could be your X server.  I got very depressed when I had to not
> use my Matrox card for a while.  The XFree86 drivers for them are
> pretty good.

I have a pretty basic video card Trident 9630 (I think that's the number) It
has some basic acceleration. I'm using the matching driver so I assume I'm
getting the same acceleration in gnome as windoze.

> But it is kind of hard to say why.  What things are slow?
> Just general
> sluggishness?

Yes overall its slow but to give two examples.

1) Clicking on the main gnome menu. First time there is a 2-3 second delay,
This
would be completely unacceptable if it happened everytime. I assume there
the graphics
are not pre-loaded. On subsequence clicks the menus are just a tad slow but
there
a slight delay between clicking and having the menu appear. In windoes it is
so quick
as to appear instantanieous.

2)I launched gnomepad+ with nothing else running it could not keep up with
my typing its was 5-10 characters behind. I'm pretty sure I was not memory
limited
in this case.