RE: Milestones document

On 07-Dec-99 Poletti, Don wrote:
> Yes overall its slow but to give two examples.
>
> 1) Clicking on the main gnome menu. First time there is a 2-3 second delay,
> This
> would be completely unacceptable if it happened everytime. I assume there
> the graphics
> are not pre-loaded. On subsequence clicks the menus are just a tad slow but
> there
> a slight delay between clicking and having the menu appear. In windoes it is
> so quick
> as to appear instantanieous.

        GNOME's menus are normally built dynamically. You can turn this
off in the panel control screen somewhere. I tend to leave it on because
I'm adding things to the menus fairly often. The setting appears to be
in Global Panel Properties/Miscellaneous. It's called "Keep menus in
memory".

> 2)I launched gnomepad+ with nothing else running it could not keep up with
> my typing its was 5-10 characters behind. I'm pretty sure I was not memory
> limited
> in this case.

        There are a couple of other applications that act this way
also, spruce (the "simple" e-mail client) being one of them. I assume
it's a property of whatever widget they're using for editable text.
It's horrendously slow, even on a 300MHz PII.

Date: 07-Dec-99  Time: 13:49:38

Craig Orsinger                  (email: <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>)
Logicon RDA
Bldg. 8B28                      "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets                 station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA   98433                   - The Doctor