Re: gnomepad is too slow (thread of Milestones document)

Craig Orsinger wrote:
> On 08-Dec-99 Andrew Post wrote:
> > What X-server (driver and version) and windowmanager are the people
> > experiencing this problem using? On what platform? I've never experienced
> > this problem, so I'm wondering if these three factors have something to do
> > with it.
>
>         I have noticed this problem in gnotepad and spruce. I have
> noticed it being slow on two systems. Here's a brief description of
> each:
... <hardware description omitted> ...
>         The laptop's GNOME was compiled using the configure/make/install
> procedure, the other system's was built from the tarballs using RPM,
> replacing the original GNOME that was included with RH 6.0.
>
>         There's not a whole lot in common between these systems, other
> than that they are both running the same version of GNOME, and RedHat
> Linux. Both kernels were built from the standard source tarballs from
> ftp.kernel.org.

As the author of gnotepad, I can safely say that any slowness you are
experiencing with gnotepad's typing speed is **NOT** due to your
hardware.  I develop and test the code using a machine that's over 2
years old, and do not experience the slowness as recently described.

The more likely cause is the software configuration.  The most common
cause is that people are using a relatively "fancy" theme with
GTK/GNOME and/or their window manager.

My suggestion is this: try turning OFF themes.  That is, don't use
any.  Does the performance get better?  If it does, there's your
culprit.  If it does not, I'd like to hear a detailed description of
all the software you are running that makes up your desktop
environment.

regards,
--andy