Re: My Little Wish List for Gnome

hi,

I like the basic idea of merging the two menus, but when I consider the
things a user might want to do, and the complexity of it, I start to think
there must be a better way.

Sure you could have .dektop entries that hide system entries, but if the
user wants a menu that is radically different to the system menu the whole
thing becomes a mess: the whole menu is full of .dektops to delete the
system entries and other entries to put things where the user wants it.
For example: if I want emacs in a "editors" sub-menu rather than
"applications" (which is where it is in the current system menu) then I
(or gmenu) must:

  - create a .desktop entry to delete emacs from the applications menu
  - create a .desktop entry to add emacs to the editors menu

if a user does this for many things - it's going to get ugly. And if they
start moving entire sub-folders around? If I want to delete the
applications menu all together, do I create a applications.desktop in the
parent folder that has a show=false tag? yuk.. The whole thing seems
completely unintuitive....

How about a user menu (not merged) where the .desktop entries can contain
a "defaults=" tag, pointing to the system .desktop entry. The user can
then move the user menu .desktop around and still be picking up the system
defaults, or could override them himself. An option in gmenu or on the
panel (ie the systmem menu still appears as a submenu at the bottom of the
panel) could be provided to show the user what is in the system defaults
.desktop files and give them an option to add them to their user menu?

I'm going to code this up after my exams (which start in, ohh, about an
hour ;-) just to see what it's like.

If everyone thinks my idea is completely naff, that's fair enough, but I
still think there must be a better way than merging the menus.... thats OK
as long as users to want to make a radical departure from the way the
system menus are setup (which it is quite posible that they might).

Cheers,
Ian