Re: Proper Startup

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Glenn wrote:
> Hi,

> This works without starting a window manager, e.g.,?
>
> wmaker &
> exec /opt/gnome/bin/gnome-session

Yes, if everything is working properly, gnome-session will run the window
manager itself.

> I never get a default.wm file. What is its content so that I could try putting
> one in manually?

The default.wm file should be installed as a part of gnome-core.  I have
attached a copy of the one on my machine.  It gets created at configure
time with the selected window manager.  IceWM is the default if you don't
select anything.

> I have tried every combination of panel, gnome-session, creating a new
> ~/gnome/session file, and start/not starting wmaker; the only thing that works
> is
>
> panel &
> exec wmaker

First off, it should be "~/.gnome/session".  Secondly, what version of
gnome-core are you using?  The file locations I gave are wrong for older
versions of gnome-core (default.session and default.wm used to be in
$prefix/share, rather than $prefix/share/gnome).  Thirdly, make sure your
default.session file is intact.

If none of the above helps, then follow my earlier directions to the
letter, take notes on exactly what happens wrong, write it up as a bug
report, and send it in.  http://bugs.gnome.org/Reporting.html has more
info on how to submit a bug report.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef