Re: GNOME and PPP - suggestions for way forward

On Sat, 29 May 1999 bratsche@dfw.net wrote:

> The PPP Dialer applet that comes with gnome-core has been removed for the
> next release. Does the Modem Lights applet have any uses other than
> dialing into PPP shells? I've never seen this applet.

It gives small lit circles to indicate Rx/Tx plus a mini-graph to show
data speed. Other than that an an on/off button to run your specified
script, it doesn't do much.

> There is a new PPP dialer applet that is distributed in the gnome-network
> package, starting with version 1.0.2. It has some of the properties of the
> applet you described.

Good, I'm glad to hear that. Does it also contain a 'cancel' button to
halt the script? There's nothing worse than a stray click forcing you
on-line to pay that minimum connect fee...

> Your suggestions for the statistics is appreciated also. This is something
> that is planned to be added sometime I think.

I think basing it on the Windows DUN version for a start would be good.
Does anyone know if you can periodically get pppd to tell you the current
connect speed? A negotiation speed of 52k will often drop to 50k to 58k
during the call remember. Such a detail would be good.

[ snip ]

--
James Green
http://www.cyberstorm.demon.co.uk/