IDE environments

I am in the process of reading Havoc's book on GTK+/Gnome development. I've hit the chapter that covers autoconf, automake, et al. Is there an IDE available that make building GNOME apps a little easier in terms of these tools?

I've downloaded Code Crusader and I've played around a little with Code-Forge ($), but haven't started trying to build anything other than the GTK+ samples from the tutorial. Obviously, they don't require complicated Makefiles!

Thanks,
Alan

Alan Reynolds
areynolds@geocities.com