Re: getting back into X

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Jerry & Ellen Davis wrote:
> So I did a Ctrl Alt 1 to get to a console and login that way and kill the
> offending process.
>
> I couldn't figure out a way to then logout and then get back into my Gnome
> GUI session. I settled for a reboot rather than just turning the machine
> off or somthing equally as stupid.

X will usually run on one of the higher virtual terminals (which one
depends on your tty init file (generally /etc/inittab in Linux or
/etc/ttys in BSD)).  Try Alt-[F5-F8] (I think it defaults to Alt-F8 on
most out of the box Linux installs), and remember that when you're in
text mode, it's just the Alt key you use to change vttys, not Ctrl-Alt
like it is when you're switching from X (that's because X intercepts and
uses Alt-[F-keys] internally).

--
            rdemanow@wasatch.com (finger for PGP public key)
                    http://www.wasatch.com/~rdemanow/