Re: getting back into X

Hi there...

Derek Simkowiak wrote:
>      Of course, if you are using runlevel 5 it's another story.  A

> simple mouse problem can force a hard boot if you can't get to a VT
> (because X keeps restarting in an endless loop).  That's why I think it's
> *incredibly bad* to have that little "Would you like to start X
> automatically when you start your computer?" dialog in Xconfigurator.  NO!

I submitted a patch to the gdm maintainer which fixes this problem, by acting
like init does (ie. if the X server spawns more than x times in y minutes, stop
attempting to spawn it for another z minutes). I never got any sort of response
from him, but it may have showed up in the gdm dist... didn't check. It's in
the debian BTS somewhere I think as well. So if you use a suitable version of
gdm, runlevel 5 is not such a bad idea.

=)
Peter