RE: options when logging out from Gnome - where's the reboot goneto?

On Monday, January 10, 2000, Elliot Lee wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Mike Stoler wrote:
>
> > Sorry, this is not correct.
> > My /usr/bin/shutdown exists and is executable by all.
> > But still, when I logout from Gnome, I am not presented with the
> > option to halt or reboot, only the option to logout.
> >
> > I must have disabled this somewhere, but where?
>
> Oops - I forgot to say that it checks that the user is the owner of
> /dev/console.

Thanks Elliot, but this isn't right either.

I just tried logging on as myself.  When I started the permissions on
/dev/console were: "crw-------" (i never understood what the "c" was
or how one set it, but that's another story).  It was owned by
"root:root".  I changed it to "crw-rw-rw-", logged out, logged in, no
change; rebooted, logged in, no change; changed ownership on the file
to "<user>:<user>", logged out, logged in, no change; i was too scared
what might happen if i tried to reboot in such a state so i didn't try
it.

I've restored everything, but still, I'm stumped.  What is it that
controls whether a user is presented with the Halt and Reboot options
on the Gnome logout (yes/no) screen?

Hmmmm.....

Thanks and please, don't give up Elliot.  I'm betting there's somebody
out there that knows the answer to this puzzling question.

Regards,

	Mike
	stoler@footbag.org