RE: options when logging out from Gnome - where's the reboot goneto?

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Mike Stoler wrote:

> I just tried logging on as myself.  When I started the permissions on
> /dev/console were: "crw-------" (i never understood what the "c" was
> or how one set it, but that's another story).  It was owned by
> "root:root".  I changed it to "crw-rw-rw-", logged out, logged in, no
> change; rebooted, logged in, no change; changed ownership on the file
> to "<user>:<user>", logged out, logged in, no change; i was too scared
> what might happen if i tried to reboot in such a state so i didn't try
> it.

The pam_console module sets the console ownership.

You might want to ask on redhat-list, since this seems to be more of a
distribution problem than a GNOME problem.

-- Elliot
It is easier to turn excellent functionality into excellent appearance
than excellent appearance into excellent functionality.