Windowmanager Problems

I have been having a few problems with windowmanagers in gnome.
Enlightenment works fine but when I switch to any other wm using the
control centre and restart gnome, no wm is started.  The control centre
shows the new wm to be running.  Starting the wm manually when in gnome
works.

Another problem I have been having is that when using sawfish as my wm
(by exporting the WINDOW_MANAGER variable), there is a delay of about a
minute after gnome-wm has been started before anything else happens.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jonathan