Re: Anybody got a clue? I certainly dont....

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 12:42:26PM -0800 or thereabouts, William P. Hewitt wrote:
> Hi all,
>     I am trying to remove the "Red Hat Menus" submenu from my gnome
> panel main menu - the applications it lists are either duplicates or not
> used, but I cant seem to find the global XML files that define the
> entities therein. (Everytime I remove them from .gnome, they magically
> reappear....) At the same time, they dont appear in gmenu for
> editing....
> I would also like to remove "Favorites" and "Run"... Does RH (Redhat
> 6.2) compile these things into the kernel or something, or am I just not
> a good enough investigator?
>     TIA and any advice/help/experience would be greatly appreciated...

Control-center->panel->menus.

You can certainly remove Favorites with that. Not sure about a Red Hat
Menus submenu. I am running RH 7.0 and don't see it (unless it only
comes up for root or something?)

RH doesn't compile Gnome stuff into the kernel, no :) That's pretty
separate. However, I am not quite sure myself what generates what
shows up on menus. Two things to look at for RH are
	o anything in /usr/share/gnome/ or /usr/share/applets which has
	the suffix .desktop
	o anything in /etc/X11/applnk/

Things in the first one will show up in the menu editor. Things in that
second one will show up for some reason but are not found by the
menu editor. When you have a Gimp in each one of those locations, you
end up with two Gimp entries on your menu. I believe the /etc/X11/applnk
one is a residue from RH's old desktop setup for X, prior to Gnome.

Telsa