Re: Gnome2: Why UI change? ( or why a Gnome user since 1.0 is con templating leaving)

> On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:30:50 -0600, you wrote:
>
>>On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 11:30:54AM -0500, Gerald Henriksen wrote:
>>> With Gnome 2 they are switching to:
>>>
>>>               No     Yes
>>
>>There should be no Yes/No in GNOME 2 (or any other UI for that matter).
>>(And if that's changed since I quit the HIG, . . . )
>
> Just used Yes/No for a simple example to show order.
>
>>The debate over this raged on for a while and you can find it in
>>the archives of various lists at http://mail.gnome.org/archives/ .
>
> Any idea of a rough idea when?  If I get the time I would like to know
> the reasoning behind going against existing practice by 95% of the
> computing world.

95% of the computing world also uses Windows.  I suppose they are correct
over the users of every other operating systems.  Just because it is
commonly done doesn't make it *right*.  There are good reasons to
switching the buttons.

I also believe the option will be configurable.  Then, users that want
a "Windows-like" environment can make it act like one, there can be a KDE
ripoff, etc.  (hopefully GNOME 2+ will have a single nice selection/druid
for this).

>>> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/hig-0.1/windows.html
>>
>>I suggest tracking the CVS HIG instead.
>>  http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/draft_hig/
>
> Doesn't really matter as the program I have started working on
> certainly won't be following the Gnome2 recommendations.  I wouldn't
> put any prospective users through the hassle.

Then *your* application will be the odd one out.  It will be the
application that doesn't fit the rest of the environment, and it will be
the one that confuses.  It will be your app, not GNOME, that is ignored
because of UI weirdness.  I don't know about "most people" but just about
every GUI app I run is a GNOME app.  The ones that aren't are GTK apps.  I
don't have KDE, even Qt installed.  Motif/Lesstif/etc. don't come near my
system.  And the only Java I use is in my web browser (which is a GNOME
app).  I use GNOME, and just GNOME, and I don't want to use any weird UI
applications that swap buttons on me from what the rest of my apps use.
Especially if the rest of those apps use a more intelligent, intuitive
button layout than simply copying others.

If you use the default behaviour in your application, other than forcing
your button layouts on your users, then just change the default for your
setup.  Then you get the setup you want, others get the setup they want,
etc.  Otherwise, everyone is forced to do things your way, whether they
want to or not.

I prefer the GNOME way, it *is* easier and makes more sense.  I also have
a habit of reading buttons before clicking on them - that certainly
helps.  ~,^

Please note, I'm not trying to attack your or your preference of button
layout.  Simply making the note that different != evil, and that forcing
your layout over the standard will cause the very problem you want to
avoid.  So please don't do it.  ^,^