Re: Random background images? How?

On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 15:00, stan wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 01:20:52PM -0500, David Bordoley wrote:
> > I don't believe that nautilus supports this type of functionality, but
> > you can always post a enhancement request on bugzilla.
> >

> Forige a relative newbie to this Gnome thing. I'm still trying to figure
> out the ineractions of all the peices. I thought that the window manager,
> or Gnome itslef would handle this. How does Nautilis (which is a file
> browswer, right) enter inot this picture.
>
> Or am I lost as to how all this fits together?

It's just like in Windows, how Explorer draws the icons/background on
your desktop.  Nautilus is needed to handle the icons, and for technical
reasons, it has to handle the background as well (in order to properly
draw the icons on it).

As for the interactions, its fairly simple.  X Windows handles the
actual hardware interface - it does the actual drawing and
keyboard/mouse input.  The Windows Manager (Sawfish) draws the window
borders and placement of windows and the virtual desktops (which are
more or less just collections of windows).  The desktop manager
(Nautilus) handles the background and icons, along with your basic file
management.  Everything else you see is generally just a different
application designed for a particular purpose (panels, etc.)

Sean Etc.