Re: Will Gnome _EVER_ be stable?

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 07:28:21PM -0500 or thereabouts, Henry Katz wrote:
> stan wrote:
> > Followup to this (after a 3 hour restore from tape in the middle of the
> > night).
> >
> > I can relaibly reproduce this crash now. Details folow.
> >
> > Machine 1.2GHZ Athalon 750M memory
> > Gnome woody .debs
> >
> > Login in using gdm. Log right back out (within say 30 seconds).
> > The WILL trash your panels.
> >
> > Hope that helps.
>
> Bollocks!!

I just have to interject here. I spend a lot of time trying to
persuade people to submit bug reports. One of the reasons cited
not to do so is that they'll just be ignored, or sworn at.

Please don't prove this true.

> I did this just for kicks. Logged out, logged back in, waited
> for everything to come to life then logged back out again.
> When I logged in again, the only thing that was amiss was
> that two terminals had shrunk in size to something < 80 x 24.

I meet gnome-terminal geometry troubles on relogging in sometimes.
It's more than minor. On occasion they have shrunk from 80x50 to
more like 10x10.

> The hardware is dual 1.2Ghz Athlon MP .5 Gb Ram, gnome, rh 7.2 2.4.9-31.
> What files should I be looking at in .gnome* for evidence of tampering.

When it comes to logging in and out, I would include /tmp/.ICE-unix
and friends too. I doubt it causes any harm, but I certainly see a
lot of sockets in there which are simply never cleaned it. I have
files going back to January 2000 there...

> BTW, this to me is not even a nuisance compared to my anecodotal
> evidence of memory loss.

I don't think "this doesn't bother me" is a good way to assess how
much it bothers someone else. I can cheerfully live without a graphical
file manager, without GDM, without xchat, and without support for
printing other languages. I do tend to presume that GNOME is for
more people than just me though...

Telsa