RE: Foreign Keyboard Help Needed

Hi,

I am Polish and I used to have polish keyboard layout. First of all, there
are two types of polish keyboard mappings: "standard", which nobody uses
because it is awkward ("ported" from an ancient polish typewriter layout);
and "programmer's", which is in common usage. In this mapping you get
accented characters by pressing right "Alt" with a character key (a, e, s,
c, n, o, l, z, x).

I have just tried to reinstantiate polish keyboard on my machine. It is
RedHat 7.0, but I don't think the procedure is any different on 7.2.

I have noticed that just switching keyboard layout with GKB is not enough.
You also have to set the LANG environment variable to pl_PL. As an added
bonus, this also sets all your locale to polish (menu texts, dialog boxes,
date format etc.)

This works for me:

1. switch GKB to polish layout ("plain" polish, not "polish deadkeys" or
"polish xkb keymap") - this gives you the "programmer's" layout
2. try running 'LANG=pl_PL emacs' or 'LANG=pl_PL gedit' from the terminal
3. if it works, put 'export LANG=pl_PL' in your './bash_profile'

hope this helps
marcin