Gnome2 startup problem

Hi,

System: debian unstable.

After working with fluxbox/kde3 for some time now, I decided to try
gnome2.  So, added a experimental source to my sources.list and did
apt-get -t experimental install gnome2

During setup I got some error messages from file-roller2:

/usr/share/omf/file-roller/file-roller-ru.omf:5: error: Input is not
proper UTF-8, indicate encoding

I also got this msg during setup of scrollkeeper, nautilus2-data,
bug-buddy, gnome-panel-data, gnome-utils, gnome-system-monitor and
gnome-terminal.

Where do I have to specify the encoding ?

Second problem: when I startup gnome2, I get the gnome popup in the
middle of the screen, and when loading the window manager it takes a
long time. First, it start with fluxbox, and then gnome2 is loaded this
process takes about 1 or 2 minutes...

where can I speed things up ?

Thanks for any help guys,

--