Re: Gnome 2 - general questions

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 19:56, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> > 2) How do I get rid of Nautilus and/or keep it from starting?
>
> Go to the Desktop Preferences -> Advanced -> Sessions (under
> "Applications" from the menubar or under the foot menu from a standard
> panel), then select Nautilus from the "Current Session" tab. Change
> its type to "normal" (it is currently "respawn"), then click the
> "Remove" button. This will stop Nautilus and prevent it from restarting.

Ok, Thanks for the help but there seems to be a bit of a disconnect.  I
don't have a "Sessions" choice from Desktop Preferences -> Advanced or
from anywhere else I can find.  Looking further through a couple
thousand menu choices, I can't find anything called "Current Session"
either.  I recall the method you speak of (about stopping Nautilus) from
my old gnomecc.  But I can't find it now.

> > 3) I don't seem to have a Control Center.  Is this normal?
>
> It's part of Nautilus by default. If you don't want to use Nautilus
> (which is pretty common), just create a launcher on one of your panels
> that will run the "control center" application. That will start up the
> control center in its own shell.

Ok.

> > 4) The Help says that the screen saver is supposed to be a capplet
> > choice but it's not.  I have to run xscreensaver-demo in order to start
> > it up.  Is this normal?
>
> I don't understand what you are saying here. (Also, ince you didn't
> know where the control center was, how do you know it isn't available
> via a capplet?)

You're right, of course, I was mixing up Applet and Capplet.  So using
your answer from #3 above, I started both gnomecc and
gnome-control-center in terminal windows and there is no screen saver
capplet in either.  Starting xscreensaver-demo seems to be the only way
I can currently adjust my screen saver but this just doesn't seem
right.  In my previous Gnome, I indeed did have the screen saver capplet
from gnomecc.  Now I don't.

I wonder if some of these issues are due to this being an unsupported
Gnome 2 from Ximian.  I have no idea, really.  Just wondering.  They
seem like such trivial little matters in an otherwise working desktop.