Re: [Fwd: Re: 2s delay for new windows in metacity]

Havoc Pennington  wrote:

Stephane Chauveau <s chauveau chello nl> writes:

 o enable some debug/trace in metacity (how?).

Run with METACITY_VERBOSE=1 METACITY_USE_LOGFILE=1

You can start metacity from a terminal with "metacity --replace" to replace the current instance.

I traced the problem to the XSync call in meta_error_trap_pop.

A XSync typically takes between 0 to 15ms.

For example, XSync is called 3 times for grabbing a single key.
Each call takes 15ms and there are 11 keys to grabs:

  3*15*11 = 495ms

So 1/2 second is used just for grabbing the keys.

I know that our network is very fast so unless there is a
issue with my Exceed configuration, I would expect to see
the same kind of behavior (or worse) on all remote displays.

S.

S. Chauveau                Adelante Technologies
Laan van Diepenvoorde 32   5582LA Waalre
The Netherlands

Phone: +31 40 23 53109    (+1F 28 17 0CF75)
mailto:stephane chauveau adelantetech com