Re: Limits of GConf

On Thu, 2002-10-31 at 07:22, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:
> Hi, Slightly off topic today (for the pygtk list).
>
> Does any one know the limits of GConf,  I am building an app and have
> decided to pickle some data to GConf rather than to a file on disk.

There are places in the gconf documentation that read like this:

"GConf is a system for storing application preferences. It is intended
for user preferences; not configuration of something like Apache, or
arbitrary data storage." (http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/)

or

"GConf should not be used to store data files or any other large amount
of information; it is designed for simple configuration data only. There
are any number of better solutions available for storing documents and
other large data chunks. You might want to store a filename, URL, or
Bonobo moniker in GConf pointing to a larger piece of data, if you need
the GConf notification facilities."
(http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/gconf/x42.html)

So. Make your own conclusions :)

Cheers