Re: I need some insight when installing gnome2 on Debian woody ...please!

I'm talking to myself again and am getting closer to some resolution.  Since everything else didn't work, I reconfigured my Xserver using xf86config on my debian woody box.  It now comes up in 640x480 mode at all color depths of (8, 16, 24)  The video card is an integrated Cirrus logic CL-GD5446 in a Compaq Proliant 1600.

When using GNome 1.4, I was running 1024x768 at 8 bit color depth.  I can get the login window/chooser to run at 1024x768 and 800x600 at the 8 bit color, but if I attempt to log in at those resolutions, it dies.  A message dialog appears briefly just before gdm restarts but it is too fast to read.  I can only log in if the resolution is at 640x480.  800x600x8bit won't even work.

I don't understand why.  Can anyone help (PLEASE) offer any suggestions as to what the problem might be?  I really can't stand running @ 640x480.  I am not an expert at configuring XFree86, but assumed that what worked w/ GNome 1.4 would also work w/ GNome 2.

Why would the initial login screen work but not be able to log in?

Thanks,

Jeff

>>> Jeff Vincent 10/30/02 12:29PM >>>
Okay,

I'll just talk to myself here and hope someone can jump in w/ some information.  I redid the install again and now I am back to gdm2 attempting to start 5 or so times and failing.  If I login using the text-based console as root and type "startx", I get the initial blue background w/ a startup window/splash screen for GNOME then it dies.  The only apparent error or warning on the console is an audit message that says:

AUDIT:  ....: 631 X: client 6 rejected from local host.

I looked at my /root/.xsession-errors file and it says:

SESSION_MANAGER=local/cruiser:/tmp/.ICE-unix/769
Loaded background '0x80b6c98
The program 'gnome-session' received an X Window System error.
The error was '202'.
  (Details: serial 447 error_code 202 request_code 155 minor code 8)
  (Note to programmers ...)
ICE default IO erro handler doing and exit(), pid = 801, errno = 104

can anyone tell me what this error might be?

>>> "Jeff Vincent" 10/30/02 09:14AM >>>
Hey all,

I am trying to upgrade to GNOME 2.0 using apt and pointing my sources.list to :

deb  http://people.debian.org woody/gnome2 woody gnome2
deb-src  http://people.debian.org woody/gnome2 woody gnome2

When gdm2 came up the first time, it attempted to start 5 times then said:

     Failed to start the display server serveral times in a short time period; disabling dislpay :0
     gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting localhost:1

In looking at the log files that I could find (XFree86.0.log, daemon.log, syslog), there was a problem w/ PEX fonts, one of the devices in XF86Config-4 and what appeared to be a problem w/ gconf.  To fix it, I installed xfs and xfonts-pex, I removed all packages that had the "gnome" name in them, did a dpkg --purge on all of them, grep'd for all possible remaining files/directories containing gnome or gdm.  I then reinstalled gnome2 and gdm2.

(BTW: the gdm2.prerm - pre remove script looks for /etc/init.d/gdm2 but it seems to get installed as just gdm)

Still, I got the same behavior.  I then compared my gdm.conf w/ a co-worker using Debian on different hardware and his GDMCHOOSER was set to gdmchooser while mine was set to gdmlogin.  I switched mine to gdmchooser, and then was able to get the login screen to start and come up.

However, when I attempt to log in, an error dialog flashes so quickly that I can't read it and then the display manager restarted.  If I click on the icon's showing the Language/System menus, it also restarts the display manager (equivalent to pressing <CTRL><ALT><BACKSPC>).  I can't see anything in XFree86.0.log or syslog that indicates any glaring problems.

I did notice some messages relating to gconf like:

     user.log:GConf server is not in use, shutting down.
or
     user.log:Failed to send buffer.

I don't know what those messages mean.  I then noticed that gnome2 installed gconf2, but gconf was still installed, so I thought that the uninstall of the old gnome just missed something and I redid the entire process above of removing everything gdm or gnome related, including gconf, then reinstalled gnome2 and gdm2.  This time I wasn't able to get completely installed due to errors in the eog2, gdm2, gedit, metacity and gnome2 installation.  It was looking for /etc/gconf/schemas/gedit.schemas, /etc/gconf/schemas/metacity.schemas, etc.  So I removed/purged everything AGAIN, reinstalled gconf then reinstalled gnome2 and gdm2.

However, I still get the problem w/ the missing schemas files.  I don't know where they should be coming from.  I would expect that the schema files would get installed w/ the gnome2 versions of those packages.

Does anyone have any suggestions/insight/perspective on what I am doing wrong?  I thought it might be an XFree server configuration problem, but it worked w/ GNOME 1.4 and I was getting a GUI login before I broke it again, so I am not so sure that is the case, unless it is a device problem for a device that is non-existant (like the sound card).

Are there any utilities that are better than the xf86config program that can help me configure the xserver (xfree86 ver. 4.1.0-17) on Debian?

Thanks,

Jeff