Conversion tools sought

In making plans to move staff from an OpenWindows environment to
GNOME, one of the things that I've been asked to determine is whether
there is any way to create programatically a tree of menus.

Currently in their openwindows initialization files, the users have
a series of carefully crafted menus, each of which consist of
other menus or actions.  For example, they might have

"My Stuff" TITLE
	"Work Status"	status lvirden 2003
    SEPARATOR
	"My Daily activities" MENU
		"General work" MENU /path/to/group/work
		"Register Time" DEFAULT exec time cards
		"Submit Batch" exec send /path/to/batch
	"My Daily activities" END
    SEPARATOR
	"My Weekly activities" MENU
		"Submit work charges" DEFAULT exec /some/program
		"Request new work" exec /some/other/program
	"My Weekly activities" END

What I am seeking is some sort of method by which GNOME/metacity menus
might be created to provide similar functionality.

So far, I've found how to add empty panels, drawers, and launchers via the
GUI interface, but I have not yet found how to go about creating these
items via a command line.

Has anyone written an application to create these types of constructs
programatically?
--
Tcl - The glue of a new generation.  <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/ >
Larry W. Virden <mailto:lvirden cas org> <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/>