Re: Some Suggestions

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 07:23 +0100, Ankit Malik wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am a new Gnome user having spent six months on KDE.
>
> Found out this list and would like to post some
> suggestions for GNOME (a couple)
>
> a) Right now, when I want to move a file say firstboot
> from /etc/init.d to /home/user/ I have to issue the
> command from the termminal. If i try to copy the file
> from nautilus, it says it is not possible for me to do
> so as a normal user.
>
> According to me, whenever I try to do such a thing, it
> (nautilus) should automatically say
>    ' The XYZ you are trying to access is under the
> control of the superuser. Please enter the superuser's
> password to move the file /carry out the function. '
>
> This way we won't have to refer to the terminal or
> login as root to carry out such a task.

That is, unfortunately, a very complicated thing to do in a secure and
proper fashion.  The copy process must be started as root, but still
somehow have access to the VFS information of the user (where you are
copying from and to, authentication/network information of the volume(s)
you are operating on, etc).

> b) What about a Gnome Tour for new users?

Wouldn't be a bad idea, although it could be hard to keep in sync given
the development speed of GNOME.  Popping up a copy of the User's Guide
on first login might be a start.