Re: Gnome 2.10 Build Order and Strategy

On Thu, 12 May 2005 somebody wrote:

You just have to dig in and get your hands dirty. Gnome is not that easy to build. I will probably take a day just to build all the packages, assuming you want a full install. I still can't get some stuff to build, mostly the stuff for disabled people. Fortunately, I am not disabled so I don't need it.

Here is the order I used to build Gnome 2.10: YMMV.

gtk-doc
glib
libIDL
ORBit2
intltool
libbonobo
pango
atk
gtk+
GConf
gnome-mime-data
glibmm
gnome-vfs
gnome-vfsmm
libgnome
libart_lgpl
libglade
libgnomecanvas
libbonoboui
hicolor-icon-theme
gnome-icon-theme
gnome-keyring
libgnomeui
startup-notification
gtk-engines
gnome-themes
gnome-desktop
libwnck
gnome-menus
gnome-panel
gnome-session
vte
gnome-terminal
libgtop
gail
libxklavier
gnome-applets
metacity
libgsf
libcroco
librsvg
eel
nautilus
control-center
libgtkhtml
yelp
bug-buddy
libgnomeprint
libgnomeprintui
gtksourceview
gedit
eog
gob2
acme
ggv
file-roller
gconf-editor
gnome-utils
gal
gnome-system-monitor
gstreamer
gst-plugins
nautilus-cd-burner
gnome-media
nautilus-media
gcalctool
gpdf
gucharmap
nautilus-cd-burner
zenity
gnome-speech
at-spi
gnome-mag
gnopernicus
gok
gnome-common
epiphany
gnome-games
gnome2-user-docs
gnome-netstatus
dasher
librep
rep-gtk
gimp-print
gimp
gimp-help
gnumeric

Here is the configure I use. One point, disable the doc build if you have problems. The documents don't seem to build if you don't have all the SGML tools and whatnot properly installed. Of course, change it to suit your preferences/system.

./configure 'LIBS=-L/usr/X11R6/lib' \
     --prefix=/usr/local/gnome210 \
     --enable-default-toolkit=gtk2 \
     --enable-optimize="-O2 -mtune=athlon-mp"        \
     --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include \
     --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib \
     --with-libwrap  \
     --enable-ipv6 \
     --enable-local-sound \
     --with-audiofile \
     --enable-alsa \
     --with-openssl \
     --with-GL=GL \
     --with-GL-prefix=/usr/X11R6 \
     --enable-console-helper  \
     --enable-doc-build \
     --enable-gtk-doc

Esben Stien wrote:

"Jonathan J. Vargas R." <jonathan j vargas gmail com> writes:

oo I wonder if could I find somewhere a magic document named
"Building GNOME 2.10 From Scratch"

Even easier is to go to http://gnome.org/start/2.8 and use the 2.8
release notes, which have the build order. 2.10 is the first (at least
since 2.2) that doesn't have the build order in the release notes. If a
package is not listed in the 2.8 release notes or is changed, just try a
different one until it works, just use the 2.10 versions instead.
-Steven