Re: edit files over ftp

noskule wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 11.01.2006, 08:45 +0000 schrieb Nelson Ben�z:
>
>>Olav Vitters wrote:

>>>Rsync (command line), maybe someone wrote a GUI for that, try searching
>>>for rsync GUI or rsync GNOME.
>>
>>Another option is Unison[1], I like it very much.
>>
>>[1] http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
>

> hm, so far I understand is, that unison synchronises in both directions,
> while on rsync I have to tell which one are the sources. So i installed
> unison. But couldnt get it to runn with either text nor graphic
> interface. It says:
>
> benjamin benjamin-note:~$ unison -ui text
> Usage: unison [options]
>     or unison root1 root2 [options]
>     or unison profilename [options]
>
> For a list of options, type "unison -help".
> For a tutorial on basic usage, type "unison -doc tutorial".
> For other documentation, type "unison -doc topics".
> benjamin benjamin-note:~$
>
> do you have a suggestion?

I run the unison server on a linux machine, and then all the unison
clients (which happens to be windows machines) synchronizes against this
server, this way I use it as a mini-cvs at work (we are just two
developers) and also to synchronize with my computer at home when I want
to continue working at home.

I start the server on the linux machine with this command:
[nelson sitec07 ~]$ cat unison_start.sh
unison -socket 7775 > unison.output 2>&1 &
[nelson sitec07 ~]$

And the windows machines has shortcuts with following command:
C:\WINDOWS\unison-2.10.2d-win-text.exe D:\eclipse\workspace\Sancionador
socket://192.168.0.44:7775/Sancionador

Normally you'll just need to hit ENTER when unison shows files that are
going to be synchronized, but a tip for when unison don't know how to
proceed(conflict) is to type '?' and then ENTER and unison will show you
the descriptions of commands that you need to tell it what to do...

IMPORTANT: This way I run unison through plain sockets which is not
recommended (but easy to set up), the recommended/secure way is running
it through ssh, see unison documentation.