Re: edit files over ftp

noskule wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 11.01.2006, 11:10 +0100 schrieb noskule:

>>>Another option is Unison[1], I like it very much.
>>>
>>>[1] http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
>>
>>hm, so far I understand is, that unison synchronises in both directions,
>>while on rsync I have to tell which one are the sources. So i installed
>>unison. But couldnt get it to runn with either text nor graphic
>>interface. It says:
>>
>>benjamin benjamin-note:~$ unison -ui text
>>Usage: unison [options]
>>    or unison root1 root2 [options]
>>    or unison profilename [options]
>>
>>For a list of options, type "unison -help".
>>For a tutorial on basic usage, type "unison -doc tutorial".
>>For other documentation, type "unison -doc topics".
>>benjamin benjamin-note:~$
>>
>>do you have a suggestion?
>
> oky a manged that. It works with unison-gtk, aotherwise it dont work. I
> manged local an ssh synchronisizon, works great. But how I do ftp
> synchronisizon? The ftp-network folders dont apear in the open-dialog.
> Is there any trick to do it ore are some kind of aliases storey
> somwhere?

I think you're mixing things here, I think you cannot synchronize with
unison through ftp, I think unison (server or client) needs to access
directly the filesystem that is going to synchronize. And if you are
thinking of mounting the ftp location locally with things like lufs[1]
or gnomevfs-mount[2] I tell you my experience has been bad as I tried to
synchronize with a machine that has xp and linux installed, with linux
booted up I tried to synchronize the ntfs partition with the
captive-ntfs[3] driver but gave me errors, although I'll have to try
sooner again as new kernels are starting to incorporate native ntfs
write support.

[1] http://lufs.sourceforge.net/lufs/intro.html
[2] http://gnomedesktop.org/node/1981
[3] http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/