Re: gconfd/gnome-panel problem

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 09:59:21AM +0000, Joao Palhoto Matos wrote:
> [ZIP]
> >>under .gconf/apps/panel . Delete from console ( and not gnome session )
> >Yes, I had already deleted it.
> >
> >Thank you anyway.
>
> Have you by any chance forgotten ~/.gconfd ?

No I didn't.

At the end I resolved to wipe out ~/.gnome2 and ~/.gconf.

I followed this procedure:
mv ~/.gnome2 ~/.gnome2-old
mv ~/.gconf ~/.gconf-old
killall gconfd
rm ~/.gconfd/saved_state
gnome-panel &

Then I managed to copy by hand my configuration from the ~/.gnome2-old
to the newly created ~/.gnome2 (mainly epiphany and nautilus stuff).

Now gnome-panel is finally restored to its fresh default state.
I just wonder where gconfd was picking the gnome-panel
configuration from. Now all gnome-panel configuration files seems to
reside in the following dirs:
~/.gnome2/panel.d
~/.gconf/apps/panel

It's also not clear to me the difference between ~/.gconf and
~/.gnome2, but at least now I have gnome-panel working properly.

Cheers
--
Stefano Sabatini
Linux user number 337176 (see http://li.count.org)