Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Poll

Hi Mihai,

> * Supporting conferencing between two groups of people
>    (using both loudspeakers) would be a considerable plus, in
>    my opinion.  For this, GM is missing echo cancellation or,
>    more cheaply I suppose, an adaptive half duplex mechanism
>    like the one implemented in most speaker phones.

there was once a discussion on the openh323 mailinglist and i think even
some beta code existed. It apparently never made it into the release.
Not sure what lacks to be done, but the developers at openh323 are also
very overworked and currently try to get OPAL rolled out as the
successor of OpenH323. Maybe we can expect to see that code included
after that. But for now that'll bring both H323 and SIP to clients like
GnomeMeeting.

> Somewhat related to the thread above, if GM becomes for voice
> and video comunication what GAIM is for IM *and* is ported
> on Windows, it will be the most useful tool ever seen!  BTW,
> there is a project, gaim-vv, that aims to become compatible
> with Yahoo! Messenger voice and video protocol, but I think
> this is old news for you.

Yes, gaim-vv is indeed old news (AFAIK they'll do SIP, not Y! messenger)
and Damien is currently more concerned about Skype as you could see in
the poll. Very apparently Skype is far more efficient in marketing and
NAT-traversal. Yet there might be more to come from H323 and SIP with
SCTP sooner or later. However SCTP isn't very widely used (yet!) in the
common OSes and therefore will not be included in pwlib for quite some
time still. It's to hope that IETF will get their "SIP shall learn to
behave" plans formed and realized soon.

> I know this is (too?) many man-year of work, :( but Windows
> port, interface to popular tools, and conferencing features
> (in this order) seem the future strength to me.

There *IS* a windows port on the way, but we're having a VERY STRONG
lack of developers (and knowledge with the tools) for that platform. If
you know either enough to help us or can afford to spend money for this
to be done by one of the developers, please approach me in a private
mail.

> This said, I convey a VERY BIG thanks to GM developers!
> GM is incredibly good and useful the way it is today!

Good to hear. That's how we want GM to be known ;)

--
Best regards,
 Kilian