automatically resizing widgets properly

Hi people,

I'm in the middle of porting my gtk app to gtk2, and have been replacing
set_usize calls to set_size_request, but I'm left thinking that there has
to be a better way to do this...? the docs talk about the inherent
duffness of forcing a widget size (i'm using lots of small gtk_entry's and
want them between 20 and 50px wide as part of a table). Is there any way
to make them automatically use any available space? if i don't set the
size of the widget, they naturally come out at full default size, completely
distorting the main UI.

for example, I have a table like this:

| <--entry--> | toggle |

the lower entry is full size, and the toggle will naturally shrink, but i
then want the top entry to use all the remaining space in that table row.

thanks

chris

http://acidrip.sf.net