Re: gtk+ 1.2.10, Gtk-Perl 0.7008 -- how the heck do I set initial window position?

Jonathan I. Kamens wrote:
I'm coming from Xt & Xaw programming, so I find it hard to understand
why this should be a novel idea -- it's rudimentary functionality
there.

Well, I'm going to display my ignorance to everybody in the hope that I learn something.

I thought this was always a 'hint' in X. I.e., the application programmer could only _request_ a position from the window manager and the window manager was not guaranteed to honor the request. Maybe I'm confused: maybe it was the 'correct' way to program for X, but it was only convention and you could guarantee a position if you had to.

At any rate, I've certainly had applications that wanted to do their own positioning be ignored by some WMs. Blech.

<Joe