version checking... take II

the link time checking (that we're linked against as least as new a version as
we build against) is now in place and doesn't seem to be causing any problems.

that leaves us with the bigger issue of ways to see what functionality is
available to you as an app. i'm going to skip all of the reasons/logic behind
it all (i've gone over it too many times as is) and purpose two solutions.

1) add get_bound_version_info and check_bound_version which work much like
get_version_info and check_version, but instead of working with the linked
versions (runtime thing) they work with the bound versions (compile time
thing.) if we go this route warn's will be added to get_version_info and
check_version saying they are nearly useless, and to use the bound versions
instead.

2) modify get_version_info and check_version to work with the bound version
rather than the linked version and add two functions: get_linked_version_info
and check_linked_version which provide the original behavior.

i strongly vote for 1.

the advantage to 2 would be that most people are going to think to use
get_version_info and check_version first. the disadvantage is that they no
longer do what people will expect and what the C docs say they do.

for the above reason there would be warns placed in the original versions in
scheme 1 saying not to use them b/c they're useless, use the bound stuff
instead.

options? you've got a day or two to voice them before we just implement our
preferred one.

-rm