Re: Bindings Beta1 Tarballs due: Feb 16th.

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 20:15, Ross McFarland wrote:
> Murray Cumming said:
> > I expect the GTK+ API to be frozen very soon. It absolutely must be
> > frozen on the GNOME 2.6.0 date or GNOME 2.6 would be delayed. That is
> > very unlikely to happen. And it would be madness to freeze the API at
> > the last moment. So, I think our date is OK.
>
> gnome's last tarball was 3 weeks behind if i'm not mistaken, that looks like
> it's already slipped to me.

The dates are tarballs due dates, but yet it's not perfect. But I repeat
- THERE IS NO PLAN TO CHANGE THE GNOME SCHEDULE. Argue about the GNOME
schedule on desktop-devel-list if necessary.

> > By the way, our freeze and final dates are already meant to be kind of
> > relative to the GTK+/GNOME dates.
>
> the page should reflect that. i vote for, as i've said several times before,
> gnome (and depenacnies) + some amount of time, rather than a fixed date.

They kind of do, but feel free to submit patches for the rules. We will
not pin the schedule to GNOME freeze dates. The Bindings schedule will
have fixed dates, to avoid doubt such as this, and because GNOME
schedules do not change - we are time-based.

> > So, we stick to the freeze. Does that sound OK?
>
> not really. freezing without at least a week or so of all of the dependancies
> being frozen sounds like a really bad idea to me.

That is not the situation. Please re-read my previous reply about the
actual, real, GNOME and GTK+ freeze dates and status. The situation is
as I have described it. You are either on the schedule or not.

However, I am interested to hear about any pratical, rather than
imagined, problems. And the release-team really want to know about any
unapproved API changes.

>  as it stands now we freeze
> in 5 or so days, but gtk+ has yet to even talk about freezing.

It has talked a great deal about freezing. I monitor the GTK+ lists and
the ChangeLog.

>  do whatever you
> want we'll either make it or not and it will likely have nothing to do with
> our level  of support for the libraries, but on the lack of time to check that
> support.

I see no problem apart from:
1. The release-team have not kept people up-to-date on the release
status, so some people have started to doubt the schedule. I think
that's terrible and I have done everything that I personally can to fix
that. However, I am not the GNOME release coordinator and it is actually
out of my power.
2. The GTK+ team have not properly communicated their freeze status and
you have misunderstood how frozen they have been for a long time. But I
have seen no API breakage for a couple of months at least and only minor
API additions for weeks.

I am repeating myself, and that is frustrating. The GNOME schedule is
not changing, so the GNOME Platform Bindings schedule is not changing.
If you have any other reasons to change the schedule then please do say
so - I know that API freezing is scary.

--
Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com