Re: OOP applets; man pages

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 11:32:55PM +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > Well it's been on by default, at least in cvs.  Distros turned it off.
> > It probably just needs some advertising :)
>
> I know why distros turned it off, it behaves nothing like the Windows
> dock or the MacOS X menu-lets (or whatever you call them, the status
> icons in the menubar). Test it yourself:
>
> 1) Add a status dock on the right hand-side
> 2) Add a lot of icons in the status dock, the left of the dock move
> along to the left side of the panel (that's normal)
> 3) remove the icons the status dock stays in the same place.
>
> And 3) sucks a lot, and it's also the reason why so many people like the
> menu (aka foobar) panel, because of the gravity of the commonly used
> applets. If they are to the right, they stay to the right.

That's a panel issue and not really a status-dock issue

> I already told that to Anders when we met in Ireland, and he said it
> would be pretty hard to implement properly. If anybody has an idea, or,
> even better, code, that would rock.

There is a little bit of gravity implemented, and I don't think it would be
too hard to make it work right in this case too.  If the applet is all the
way on the right.  It should just stick on the right side all the time when
changing size.  Same with any applets that are stuck to it.  So, there is
some code to do that, but obviously it's not working :)

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.