Re: Merging libgtop2 into HEAD

On 10 Jan 2002, Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> 	And of course, this isn't going to work:
>
> On Thu, 2002-01-10 at 09:22, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > 	cvs -z3 upd -Pd -r MY_LIBTOP_BRANCH
> > 	cvs -z3 upd -Pd -A
>
> 	It'll just give you HEAD again; so I have a different plan; remove all
> CVS/Tag files, and edit all CVS/Entries files to remove the
> TMY_LIBTOP_BRANCH and then upd -Pd -A, that might give you what you
> want;

uhhh... this is unnecessarily gross. CVS does have facilities to do
merging, both from head, to head and between branches. It may be confusing
that both "updating" (that merges against local changes) and "merging"
(that merges between different branches/tags/revisions) are implemented
using 'cvs update' - but unfortunately, that's life.

in short:
	* update to something: cvs update -r rev_spec ...
	* merge from something: cvs update -j rev_spec ...

you can specify two -j options if you want to merge the difference
between two revisioon specifiers (tag/date/rev) using two -j options:
	cvs update -j spec1 -j spec2 ...

you will then need to resolve conflics and do a commit. More information
as usual in the cvs documentation.

> 	Assuming, that is - that you didn't tag when you branched.
>
> 	Anyway - enough crackpot suggestions from me,
>
> 		Michael.
>
> --
>  mmeeks gnu org  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot

	Sander

	I see a dark sail on the horizon
	Set under a dark cloud that hides the sun
	Bring me my Broadsword and clear understanding