Re: whether to use bugzilla or not

A part of the misunderstanding may be what you are expecting from the .spec
files in the tarballs. These .spec files are not really part of the packages
the way the rest of the source is. None of the Linux distributions use these
.spec files, as far as I know. They have their own .spec files (or
equivalent, depending on what packaging scheme they use). And Ximian doesn't
use them either.

<snip>

We don't really expect these .spec files to be in good shape for the alpha

releases. Many of the maintainers don't actually maintain the .spec files in
the packages.
We could remove the .spec files just for clarity, but I think that might
make things even worse.

Ok, i think this touches on a very real point.

I do indeed actualy expect working .spec files in a tarball, since for the average or casual user, it is the only way to be able to self-compile source code, without having to _totaly_ mess up their system. Remeber the time when people didnt use ximian's beta rpm's, and people had tons of different versions of .so's around, in both /opt, /usr and /usr/local... the support nightmare was complete, and the scary factor very high for anyone trying out cutting edge software.

Now i am not saying these .spec files have to be used by mandrake/ximian/redhat, etc.. however i do think they can offer a way for a user to try out new releases (test & file bug reports on releases, install the next version the next day, etc).

Especialy in these alpha / beta days, a lot of files will come and go from any package file list, and the only way to prevent file sys. polution in that case, is to use the .spec files (or alien them to .deps etc).

If it is to much of a engineering nightmare for maintainers to keep these .spec files up to date (or to darn confusing for them), i would sugest taking out the .spec file. I see no reason to ship _known broken_ tools and configurations, no matter what the side benifits might be... they only confuse & frustrate user type people, and will leave a bad impression of any release with a bad .spec file that the lazy / casual user will try (ie, "it failed to compile or work, what kind of release engineering is this?!")

However, since gnomehide & rawhide & ximain have plenty of well working .spec files for the gnome 2 platform, why not simply import those for the relavent packages, and have a well working rpm build system for the gnome 2 (vendor neutral) release?

Anyways, just my 0.02 euro cents... since i do use .spec files for my day to day boxes maintanance, and know quite a few people who do as well ;-)

Anyways, thaks for the replies. For now i'll just crusade for the working .spec files, and file all 'real' bug reports in bugzilla.

Ps, if the only thing holding working .spec files is a lack of man hours, i'd be more then willing to dive into the deep end of the pool, and maintain them. (though that might feel redundance, since so many people already do this)