parallel-install desktop packages

I'm just about done compiling the Alpha release (8 packages shy, give or
take).  However, I realized one thing that's going to make this messy.
While all of the library release packages can be parallel installed
quite easily, this isn't the case for the desktop packages, such as
gnome-core, and gnome-utils.

So, now for the questions.  Should we attempt to make these capable of
being installed in parallel with their GNOME 1 counterparts?  If so, how
do we go about doing that?  Do we simply install into another prefix?
How do we get people a new GNOME_PATH, which they'll likely need if
things are in a different prefix?  What other options do we have for
making parallel-installable packages?  Thanks,
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.