Re: parallel-install desktop packages

<quote who="Gregory Leblanc">

> I'm just about done compiling the Alpha release (8 packages shy, give or
> take).  However, I realized one thing that's going to make this messy.
> While all of the library release packages can be parallel installed
> quite easily, this isn't the case for the desktop packages, such as
> gnome-core, and gnome-utils.

This, unfortunately, is the one thing I missed in the release notes that I'm
kicking myself for. Gar.

> So, now for the questions.  Should we attempt to make these capable of
> being installed in parallel with their GNOME 1 counterparts? If so, how
> do we go about doing that?  Do we simply install into another prefix?

I think another prefix is the best solution. The GNOME 2 desktop is an
upgrade to the desktop environment, and it doesn't make much sense to have
two of every 1.4/2.0 desktop component installed. (Perhaps on larger systems
for user choice? Not a *huge* concern, I don't think.)

We should encourage installation to sandboxed prefixes or users.

[ I've mentioned it to the release team already; I'm going to put out a list
of answers to some of the questions we've been hit with in the last few
hours soon, probably tomorrow. Catch me on IRC if you have stuff for it. ]

- Jeff

--
                   "Socks for the foot menu!" - Liam Quin